Sunday, April 1, 2007

opening day

Finally, baseball season again. After last year's magical run with the Cardinals, we will see what this year holds. My only real prediction is more Joe Mauer-gasms for the Minneapolis press. Good grief for a city are they provincial. "He's one of US!!"

But wait, the Minnesota congress is already swinging for the fences: a $1 billion tax increase. They are using the "it is for the kids, education is our biggest investment, ..." I won't even go into to the real stupidity of this argument, but I will note the following:
- This increase is WAY above the increase we are seeing in salary, meaning a real quality of life decrease for Minnesotans, and
- This will never be enough.

Jesse Ventura (uugh) at least has one good thing: he went to the education people and asked "how much do you want." The idea was to make them give a number that they would be given and then they had to make little Einsteins or shut up. They couldn't do it. Look folks, "more" is not a number. Trust me on that. MN spends almost as much per pupil per year as it cost my wife to go to a top-flight private school. And I guarantee that the brats coming out of MN are not that well off. I have to deal with them on a daily basis in the workplace--and they are causing serious issues (medical device industry, remember?) that I have to fix.

As a state we need to ask again: how much do you need?
After that, no more.

No comments: